Background

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Arr!

This 6x6 shadow box is another Twiddleybitz product.  I combined it with the brand new, just released Pirate themed twiddleybitz products - the border, and the pieces of 8; and the Square Alphabet - Arr!


I sprayed the entire shadow box with different earthy colour sprays and let it dry naturally - careful not to get it too wet or it would swell and warp; when dry I ran them through the bigshot with the script embossing folder, and used more spray and distress inks. I also sprayed the skull and anchor border and then assembled all the sides and put them aside to dry.

I covered the Arr! and the pieces of eight with gold colourful thoughts jewel enamels and sprinkled other colours on top - pressing the script embossing folder into some while warm and inking to distress as well.  I covered the front frame of the shadow box with the jewel enamels, working on one section at a time, creating the base coat and adding more enamels in the different colours (copper, silver, black, gold, bronze) - adding small beads to the enamels in some areas - pressing the script embossing folder into others (and gently inking the raised surface with black stazon ink) - keeping in mind the future placement of the border, pieces of eight, and Arr!


I then glued the front frame to the box, and added the skull and anchor border, and the Arr! The most tedious part was gluing all the jewels individually into place and getting the "necklaces etc into the right place and stuck without including my fingers or layers of my skin!  I also had to leave room for the back panel of the shadow box to sit just inside the frame.

The photo is of me dressed as a pirate for a fancy dress cyber party and scrap night a couple of years ago on The Scrapper's Stash (it was such a good night!).  I printed it in sepia and distressed, and curled the edges, also spraying a bit of bronze colour spray, glued it to the backing board and used my heat gun to force dry it a bit - added some jewels and carefully placed it and glued it in the frame (again losing some skin I'm sure!)  Last thing was adding the pieces of eight in the appropriate places.


Once completely dry I added the support corners and hanging 'bit' to the back.  I love it and don't know if I can part with it now!

Ingredients:
Twiddleybitz 6x6 Shadow box
Twiddleybitz pirate coins
Twiddleybitz Alphabet - square
Twiddleybitz border - skulls and anchors
Twiddleybitz Colour sprays - gold, bronze, silver, walnut, black, copper.
Colourful Thoughts Jewel Enamels - Gold; Light Gold; Rich Silver; Jet.
Green Tara Bead Chains
Stazon ink - black
Tim Holtz Embossing Folder - Script.
Distress Inks - Vintage Photo

Beads from Spotlight
Jewel Beads from spotlight
Kaiser Jewels - Red, green, blue, clear
Pritt Power gel.


Thanks for looking - I hope you like it!

2 comments:

Please leave a comment - it's nice to be appreciated and it's great Karma!